CORNWALL BRASS BAND ASSOCIATION
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the above Association which was held on Sunday 7th February 2016 in Indian Queens Bandroom, at 2.00pm
1. PRESENT: Mr T Bedding (Chairman), Mrs F Calver (Secretary) and 13 representatives from 8 member bands, together with 1 unattached member of the Executive Committee. See attendance list appended “A” in the Minute Book.
The Chairman welcomed members to the meeting, thanked Indian Queens Band for their hospitality, and reminded the meeting that it was one vote per band.
2. APOLOGIES: Leonard Adams (President), Emma Dennis (Publicity Officer) Bude Metric, Jackie Smith Bugle, Pendennis Brass, Anna Minear (St Austell) Tracy Dunkley (Gweek Silver)
3. MINUTES: of the AGM held on Sunday 8th February 2015, previously circulated were proposed Linda Trethewey, seconded Marcus Dunstan and signed as a true record.
4. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT: The Chairman referred to the 60th Anniversary Contest which had returned to the Hall for Cornwall, and had been well supported by the youth, junior and training bands. He thanked all the bands for their support and also all those volunteers who stewarded during the event. Reference was made to the Play Day workshops for beginners of all ages, and expressed sincere thanks to Darren Hawken for being the Senior Tutor during the past two years. He went on to explain that Darren had stepped down but that Alan Pope had agreed to fill the position. Thanks were also expressed to all the tutors who had been involved and indicated that for the moment Lanner Bandroom was being used but there was a possibility that something could possibly be arranged in Mid or North Cornwall if there was sufficient support from those areas. Indian Queens and Newquay bands were welcomed into the contesting scene with their forthcoming appearance at the Regional Contest, and congratulations were offered to Camborne Town Band for gaining 6th place in the National Championships last October. Thanks were expressed to Fran Calver, Robin Teague and Emma Dennis and the Executive Committee members for their work and support during the year. (full transcript appended “B”)
5. FINANCIAL STATEMENT: Copies of the audited balance sheet were circulated and the figures explained. The adjudicators fees were queried by Denzil Boundy, and it was explained that an inclusive fee of £300 was offered. Proposed Paul Uzzell, seconded Mark Bray and agreed the financial statement be adopted. (copy appended “C” in the Minute Book) Copy available on application to the Secretary with a large stamped addressed envelope.
A letter of thanks to be sent to the auditors Phillips Frith, who again had given their services free of charge. and a vote of thanks recorded to Robin Teague for his work as Treasurer during the year.
6. ELECTION OF OFFICERS:
Patron: Lady Mary Holborow, Proposed by: Trevor Bedding, Seconded by: Marcus Dunstan aif
President: Leonard Adams, Proposed by: Mark Bray, Seconded by: Paul Uzzell aif
In the absence of either a Vice Chairman and the President, the Secretary assumed the Chair for the election of the Chairman.
Chairman: Trevor Bedding, Proposed by: Jacqui Uzzell, Seconded by: Linda Trethewey aif
Vice Chair: Paul Uzzell, Proposed by: Denzil Boundy, Seconded by: Robin Teague aif
Fran Calver explained that she had given notice in 2014 that she would not be seeking re-election in 2015. Unfortunately it had not been possible to find anyone to undertake the post and she continued in 2015. The stumbling block appeared to be the enormity of the whole post, and it was suggested that the duties be broken down into more manageable segments by appointing an Events Organiser and a Workshop Organiser, with Fran remaining as General Secretary and undertaking the administrative side of the Association.
The appointment of Fran Calver as Secretary to include Minute Secretary, and Trophy Officer was proposed Marcus Dunstan, seconded Mark Bray and approved.
Treasurer: Robin Teague, Proposed by Denzil Boundy, Seconded by: Marcus Dunstan aif
Auditor: Phillips Frith, Proposed by: Linda Trethewey, Seconded by: Paul Uzzell aif
As Phillips Frith had again audited the books with no charge, it was agreed that a letter of thanks be sent to them on behalf of the Associaion.
The Publicity Officer, Emma Dennis, had indicated that she was unable to attend any meetings of the Association because of child care issues but was prepared to continue only if this was clearly understood. Should another nomination be received she was happy to stand down. None were received
Publicity: Emma Dennis, Proposed by: Mark Bray, Seconded by: Jacqui Uzzell aif
Executive: Linda Trethewey, Jacqui Uzzell, Bev Beal, Mark Bray, Marcus Dunstan, Elaine Bray, Proposed en bloc by: Paul Uzzell, Seconded by: Sarah Johns aif
Jacqui Uzzell will assume the position of Events Organiser and will be responsible for the Cornish Championships. No nomination was received for Workshops Organiser, so it was agreed to co-opt as necessary.
CBBA Member of the CYBB Charity Mr T Bedding ex officio Agreed
CBBA reps to the Council of W of E B B Assns. Frances Calver, Trevor Bedding and Robin Teague with any other member of the Executive Committee to deputise if required. Unanimous
CBBA rep to W of E Bandsmens Festival (Bugle) Trevor Bedding or Fran Calver. Unanimous
7. HONORARIUM: Proposed Robin Teague, seconded Marcus Dunstan and agreed that the Secretary be paid the same amount as last year i.e. £500 Proposed Elaine Bray, seconded Linda Trethewey and agreed the Treasurer be paid £250.
There being no further business the Chairman declared the AGM closed at 3 pm.